Thursday, September 22, 2011

Growums Review

Growums   
When I was a kid, I started growing vegetables for my dad’s garden center using the same type of pellets used to grow your Growums today. It was magical to watch this small, dry object soak up water and create a place for me to put my vegetable seeds – and a few days later, I had plants! (It was cool!) Most kids today don’t get to experience this, and it’s our goal to give them that chance.
In addition, the Growums program:
  • Gives children a life-changing experience, teaching them that they can grow their own food and help the environment, as well as emphasize the importance of healthy eating
  • Gives them gardening knowledge and shows them the skills it takes to become a successful gardener – no matter what their age
  • Gives kids a chance to have fun quality time with their parents, siblings and grandparents – both out in the garden, as well as online
  • Gives back to your organization, charity or fundraiser
We feel that by providing children with a remarkable experience to grow their own garden – along with the help of fun characters who coach them in a virtual world they can enjoy online – the kids will be attentive and successful in their real-life gardening adventures. My kids have done it, and so have the kids in my neighborhood. I can tell you from experience: The joy on their faces and the fun they had digging in the dirt – then eating what they grew – was immeasurable!


I first need to say I do not in anyway have a green thumb and kill every plant I have ever had that spent time in the house. Next I have to say this was so much fun to do with my kids. We started mid way through summer, and although my husband said the seeds wouldn't grow, they sure did. I was shocked at how quickly we had  sprouts. 

I will say I am very glad it says to wait up to 15 days for sprouts but to be honest the Carrots didn't sprout at all until day 19 and I had pea sprouts after only a couple days so it really does go to show how different the results can be. My kids were exited to get to do this project5 because for the most part they could do it themselves. I live in a state with the 4 seasons I decided to put the plants outside to get sunlight fairly early, because really putting them in the window didn't get them any light.  With it being summer the few hours of sunlight helped them along greatly. 




Overall I think this is a great idea, and the fact you can purchase a kit for $9.99 each just take a look around the growums website, and the fact you get e-mailed adorable videos that tell you when you should check your garden. 








Photobucket

1 comments:

The Salty Mermaid said...

OMG - I remember growing up and growing Polly Popcorn and Johnny Jump Ups. I like to vegetable garden - It's the only growing I can do somewhat successfully. I can't wait to garden with the kids. I've been looking forward to it and next spring and summer will finally be the time! YAY!

Post a Comment